Emergency Eye Care
Emergency Eye Care at Eastside Eye Physicians
A wind-blown wood shaving, an infection that has gotten out of hand, a freak accident at work or on the playing field. These or any other events can suddenly present you with a vision-threatening eye emergency. At times like these, you need to know what to do and where to get the medical care you need as quickly as possible. Here at Eastside Eye Physicians, any ophthalmologist on our team can provide emergency eye care for families in St. Clair Shores and Shelby Township.
When Your Eyes Need Emergency Care
Considering how delicate the eyes actually are, it's amazing that these organs can often go for decades at a time without sustaining serious damage. When an emergency situation does strike, however, the damage can occur quickly and decisively, sometimes resulting in permanent vision loss. It's important to know when a condition or injury poses a clear and present danger to your eyes. It's wise to seek emergency care for situations such as:
- Chemical injuries - Corrosive liquids or gases can cause serious irritation and scarring if they come into contact with the eye tissues.
- Traumatic injuries - A foreign object can lacerate the eye's surface or even become embedded in the eyeball, especially if it is blown into the eye at high speed.
- Retinal emergencies - Sudden partial or total vision loss in one eye can be caused by a retinal blood vessel occlusion or retinal detachment.
- Angle-closure glaucoma - This acute form of glaucoma occurs when a sudden spike in intraocular pressure threatens the optic nerves. Vision loss may be accompanied by headaches, nausea, and eye pain.
- Acute infection - An acute case of conjunctivitis, shingles, Acanthamoeba keratitis (a parasitic infection), or endophthalmitis (which affects the eye's interior) can damage your eyesight.
Diagnosis and Medical Treatment from Our Skilled Team
Keep the phone number for Eastside Eye Physicians handy so you can call us right away if trouble strikes. We will perform an immediate evaluation to diagnose the problem so we can proceed with sight-saving care. We can wash out corrosive substances, remove foreign objects, get angle-closure glaucoma under control, and administer antibiotic, anti-fungal, or anti-viral drugs to combat infections. If necessary, we can perform emergency surgery to treat an intraocular emergency.
Call Your St. Clair Shores and Shelby Township Ophthalmologists
When your eyes are in serious trouble, turn to your St. Clair Shores and Shelby Township ophthalmologists at Eastside eye Physicians. We're just a phone call away at (586) 774-2020 in St. Clair Shores and (586) 247-2020 in Shelby Township!