Eye Disease Management
Eye Disease Management at Eastside Eye Physicians
Some diseases are more disabling than others -- but diseases and disorders that cause you to lose your vision have to stand near the top of the list. If you dread the thought of some lurking eye disease robbing you of your eyesight, you'll be happy to know that Eastside Eye Physicians can provide timely, effective eye disease management for St. Clair Shores and Shelby Township residents.
Common Eye Diseases: Symptoms and Consequences
The eye is not only a delicate organ; it's also a "precision instrument" in which all the components must be able to do their jobs if you want to see clearly. While some issues such as refractive errors are simple abnormalities, other problems may be created by progressive eye diseases that may do considerable damage before you're even aware of them. Common examples include:
- Cataracts - Cataracts develop when substances in the lens of the eye clump together, robbing the lens of its transparency. This condition can be influenced by age, drug use, diabetes and other factors. It can cause blurred vision, glare sensitivity, loss of night vision, and eventual blindness.
- Glaucoma - Glaucoma is optic nerve damage that produces irreversible vision loss, usually due to overly-high fluid pressure inside the eye. The vision loss is usually gradual, starting with peripheral vision -- but some cases can cause sudden vision loss as well as eye pain, headaches, and nausea.
- Macular Degeneration - Macular degeneration is no named because it affects the macula, the part of the retina that produces your central vision, causing blank spots or wavy distortions in this critical zone.
- Diabetic Retinopathy - Diabetes can destroy the retinal blood vessels, causing permanent, progressive vision loss and bleeding in the eye.
- Dry Eye - Dry eye may not sound dangerous, but it can damage your corneas over time. Insufficient or unbalanced tear film also causes irritation, red eyes, and light sensitivity.
Screening, Diagnosis, and Management
Our medical eye doctors at Eastside Eye Physicians can diagnose these and
other eye diseases in their earliest stages through annual medical eye exams.
They can then provide such management options as laser assisted cataract
surgery, glaucoma laser surgery, drug therapy, Intravitreal Anti-VEGF injections,
and medication. Dry eye can respond to a number of remedies, from eye drops to
Don't Let Eye Diseases Damage Your Eyesight -- Call Our Clinic
Take smart steps to protect your eyes against sight-stealing diseases. Call
our St. Clair Shores or Shelby Township offices today to schedule a
comprehensive medical eye exam.